Education Abroad

Apply for Education Abroad approval

Book an advising appointment

Contact us with any questions


If you're a UA Faculty member and you're interested in planning a study abroad experience, you're in the right place!

All FLEDs (faculty-led programs) must be approved by the International Center and your college.

After obtaining permission from your dean, submit your proposal. Proposals will be reviewed case-by-case by the International Center, Risk Management, Academic Affairs, Student Affairs, Office of General Counsel, and Environmental Health and Occupational Safety.

Faculty-Led Education Abroad Program (FLED) during COVID-19

Begin the proposal process at least 3 months before your first non-refundable deposit is due to provide time for review. Starting sooner is recommended so you have maximum time to recruit students for an approved program.

Requirements for Approval:

  1. Check the current Department of State (DOS) Travel Advisory Level for your destination(s).
  2. The program must be led by at least two UA faculty or staff directors.
    • Exception: Programs involving third-party affiliates or partner institutions with which we have an established FLED relationship will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
  3. The course must offer an alternate means to complete academic requirements if a student is unable to travel or the entire program is canceled.
  4. Obtain your chair and dean’s approval.
  5. Complete the program proposal online and submit the following supporting materials to Heather Pollock: budget, refund policy, and alternate assignment details.
  6. The International Center will consult with Risk Management, Office of General Counsel, Office of the Controller, Office of Academic Affairs, Environmental Health & Occupational Safety, and Student Affairs to determine whether the program may proceed.

Emergency while abroad:

  • Keep the contact info for the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate with you when you travel, in case you need to reach out to them for assistance.

  • In the case of an emergency, please contact local authorities (EMS/Police) for immediate assistance. For all other emergencies, call the UAPD 24-hour number +1-330-972-2911. The dispatcher will connect you with help.

  • Faculty directors are required to follow the Group Travel Emergency Response Plan and report incidents to the International Center using this form.

Contact us

Education Abroad Office
-International Center-

Kirstin Polen de Campi
Simmons Hall 205

Mon - Fri 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.